King George II Inn Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection is organized in original received order with subject based files. Materials range from circa 1765 to 2005. The collection consists of various records pertaining to the King George II Inn building, its previous owners, and activities including: correspondence, photographs/negatives, wharf shipping records, and personal books.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library (email@example.com) for information about accessing this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright interests for this collection belong to The Grundy Foundation. For more information, contact the Grundy Archivist (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Biographical / Historical
The King George II Inn was constructed in 1765 on the foundation of the original Ferry House, which was built shortly after Samuel Clift had come from Burlington, New Jersey to found the town of Bristol in 1681. The King George II Inn has gone by several names throughout its existence including: The Ferry House, Fountain House, and Delaware House. During the Revolutionary War, the inn served as headquarters for General Cadwalader in December 1776, when he and 3,000 soldiers were stationed at Bristol to guard against British attacks along the river. There Cadwalader prepared to assist George Washington with his Christmas night attack on the Hessian soldiers at Trenton by crossing the Delaware River at Bristol, though due to extreme weather, was unable to do so. The collection contains records of some of the Inn’s previous owners such as: Sophie Lincoln (1856-1943), who was the proprietor of the hotel in the early 20th century, as well as her daughter Lillian De Stanley (1887-1959), who took over the business after Sophie. Sophie was the daughter of Mathias Strobele (1826-1904), whose family was German and came to Bristol from Philadelphia in the early 1800s.
1.16 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Most items were donated in a rusty, metal chest from the King George II Inn’s basement and were in poor condition when accepted into the Grundy Archive. Many photographs and ledgers require careful handling when used.
Some bound items appear to be at risk for mold, or are already showing signs of mold exposure. Monitoring is suggested.
Records donated to the Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library by Robert Strasser, co-owner of King George II Inn at time of donation (2016) and editing of this finding aid (2022).
No further accruals expected.
Processed by Archivist Eric Walerko. Finding aid updated, edited, and entered into ArchivesSpace by Archivist Lillian Kinney, 2022.
- Kine George II Inn Collection
- Archivist Eric Walerko. Finding aid updated, edited, and entered into ArchivesSpace by Archivist Lillian Kinney, 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Grundy Foundation