Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library Institutional History Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection is organized in original received order with subject based files. Items in folders remain in the original received order from the creator as they came into the Archive. Materials range from 1878 to present. The collection consists of various records pertaining to the Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library and their activities including: correspondence, programs/services, photographs, and other records of the Library’s general and administrative history. The collection also contains some records and histories of the Bristol Free Library that preceded the Grundy Library from 1878 until the dedication of the Grundy Library in 1966.
Additionally, this collection contains born-digital records, primarily consisting of digital photographs and digitized photographs that were received by the Archive in digital format. Dates of these photographs range from the 1970s through present. This consists of 2.95 GB of 763 files stored in the institutional network drives. Access copies can be viewed online through the Archive’s Digital Collections website.
- 1878 - 2019
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library (email@example.com) for information about accessing this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright interests for this collection belong to The Grundy Foundation. For more information, contact the Grundy Archivist (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Biographical / Historical
Bristol’s first library was named the Bristol Free Library. The nineteenth-century repository was a subscription library, without a permanent location. With the backing of Margaret Grundy and other library supporters in 1916, the Bristol Free Library opened its doors to all, offering free services to the entire community. A large new collection of children’s books was added and regular story-reading programs were conducted. The commitment of Margaret Grundy and her brother Joseph, both financially and personally, to the Bristol Free Library was readily evident through the years.
Upon his death in 1961, Senator Joseph R. Grundy established through his will and estate The Grundy Foundation, designating the Trustees of the Foundation to build and maintain a library. He specifically set aside funds for a new library building that would house a collection of current materials and information resources, and employ a knowledgeable staff for the purpose of enriching and empowering the public of Bristol. The new library was named after his sister Margaret and was dedicated on June 24, 1966 as the Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library, replacing the Bristol Free Library.
6.5 Linear Feet (11 boxes)
2.95 Gigabytes (Born-digital files)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Library Renovation records had carpet cut out samples, assumingly used while deciding on the newer carpeting designs. Some of these samples were removed from the collection for conservation purposes as they had adhesives on them that could damage the other records. Several photographs may be damaged from poor previous housing and from being previously taped on emulsion side.
Further accruals expected.
Processed by Archivist Eric Walerko.
- Library Renovation records had carpet cut out samples, assumingly used while deciding on the newer carpeting designs. Some of these samples were removed from the collection for conservation purposes as they had adhesives on them that could damage the other records.
- Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library Institutional History Collection
- Archivist Eric Walerko. Additions and edits made by Archivist Lillian Kinney.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Grundy Foundation